The abbreviation for BCA is Bachelor of Computer Application which is a 3-year degree associated with computer software and development. It is one of the most coveted courses for students interested in pursuing a career in Information and Technology.
There are various colleges in India that offer admission to the BCA program on the basis of merit and an entrance examination. The syllabus consists of many software development languages like HTML, C, C++, and Java. The other areas of study are database management systems, operating systems, web technology, etc.
BCA fees range between approximately Rs. 1 Lakh to Rs. Private colleges receive Rs. 3,00,000 and public colleges receive Rs. 30,000 to Rs. 1,00,000 from government colleges.
BCA graduates with strong computer concepts, problem-solving skills, decision-making skills, and knowledge of software development and testing should pursue the degree.
BCA Eligibility Criteria
Admission to the BCA program is based on the results of entrance examinations. The eligibility criteria for BCA are that the candidate must score at least 50% marks in 12 from a recognized university or equivalent examination. The marks must be in a stream that includes computer applications or mathematics as an additional or core subject.
BCA Admission Process
BCA admission is based on merit as well as entrance examinations conducted by various universities at state and national levels. The admission process for BCA students usually begins around May. If the admission process for BCA students is based on merit, then the candidate needs to score an aggregate of 50% marks in their 12 whereas in entrance examinations the candidate needs to clear the qualifying cut-off. The various entrance examinations conducted for admission to BCA are IPU-CET, BUMAT, AIMA, UGAT, etc.
BCA Entrance Examination Syllabus
The entrance examination for admission to the BCA program varies from university to university. However, the syllabus generally revolves around 5 sections, i.e., Quantitative Aptitude, General Awareness, Computer Awareness, English and General Intelligence, and Logical Reasoning.
To prepare for the entrance examination, students must start by reading through the previous year’s mock tests or question papers from various universities. These mock tests or question papers can be found on the university website. Then students must read the newspaper every day to increase their general awareness. They need to identify their weak areas and work on them. Don’t forget to do NCERT as most of the exams are heavily dependent on NCERT questions. Last but not least, do revision every day and try to adopt a healthy diet for a healthy mind.
- If candidates want to explore more in the field of BCA, then students can opt for various specialization programs like BCA Data Science, BCA Analytics, etc. BCA Data Science course explores Data Mining, Machine Learning, etc apart from the mainstream BCA syllabus.
- The average salary one can expect after completing a BCA in Data Science is approximately Rs. 4-6 lakhs.
- The BCA Analytics is associated with computer analytics and involves topics like Big Data Analytics, Data Manipulation, Machine Learning, Data Science, etc.
- The average salary one can expect after completing a BCA in Analytics is approximately Rs. 4- 10 lakhs.
There are various colleges in India offering BCA degrees. The average fee for these colleges ranges from Rs. 1,00,000 to Rs. 3,00,000.
These colleges are Stella Maris College, Chennai, Goswami Ganesh Dutta S.D. College, Chandigarh, Loyola College, Chennai, Christ University, Bengaluru, Symbiosis Institute of Computer Studies and Research, Pune, etc.
Some of the government colleges are Aliah University, Ambedkar Institute of Technology, JC Bose University of Science and Technology, St Joseph’s College, etc.
Some of the private colleges offering graduation in BCA are Presidency College, Symbiosis Institute of Computer Studies and Research, Vellore Institute of Technology, Institute of Business Studies and Research, Xavier’s Institute of Computer Applications, National Institute of Management, etc.
BCA Career Opportunities
There are various career opportunities for candidates after completing a BCA degree. Some of the job roles are given below:
- Software Developer – The work of a software developer is to research, design, create and implement software programs along with ensuring their smooth working. Software developers earn up to Rs. 5 lakhs per annum.
- System Analyst – They are responsible for designing and ensuring that the infrastructure and computer systems are working smoothly. If not, they will have to come up with solutions and create bespoke programs. The System Analyst earns up to Rs. 6 lakhs per annum.
- Web Designer – As the name suggests, they create layouts and design websites. The Web Designer earns up to Rs. 6 lakhs per annum.
- Technical Associate – They assist the administration staff or the organization they are working in with day-to-day technical problems. A technical associate earns up to Rs. 3 lakhs per annum.
- Customer Support Technician – They research and come up with solutions to the problems the computer system has, including troubleshooting. A Customer Support Technician earns up to 5 lakhs per annum.
FAQs regarding BCA
Candidates can pursue BCA through distance education. There are many colleges like IGNOU, TNOU Chennai, School of Distance Education, Suresh Gyan Vihar University- Distance Education (SGVUDE), Bharathiar University, etc.
Candidates may complete the BCA course through distance learning in a minimum of 3 years and a maximum of 6 years.
There are various big giants like Amazon, Microsoft, HCL, Wipro, etc. Companies hire BCA graduates and pay them handsomely.
As of now, a Bachelor of Computer Applications is not available at the University of Delhi. However, DU offers a BSc in Computer Science with Honours. which can be pursued by candidates interested.
The various entrance examinations conducted for pursuing graduation in BCA are IPU-CET, AIMA UGMAT, BUMAT, SET, etc.