The Staff Selection Commission conducts exams for recruitment in the Central Government. So, this recruitment is done based on performance in the various stages/Tiers of the process. The most common exam many opt for is the SSC CGL exam. This exam is a great opportunity mainly for graduates. Competitive exams like these can be difficult and vast. In this article, we cover various topics needed for cracking the SSC CGL exam in the first attempt. Firstly, tips & tricks to crack the SSc CGL exam. Secondly, how to crack SSC CGL in the first attempt. Thirdly, and lastly tips for success in the SSC CGL exam.
How to crack SSC CGL in First Attempt?
This is a constant question for each student’s mind. Is it even possible to crack the exam in the first attempt? Yes, it is possible. Individuals giving the exam should not be nervous nor overconfident about themselves. Focusing on smart & detailed is one of the tips for success in the SSC CGL exam. In addition to that, determination and will to get that dream job you always wanted, is the key to reaching flying colors in your exam.
Read and understand the exam in detail
The exam pattern is the most important. What is the selection procedure? How many papers are there? While researching try to analyze the different aspects which are difficult and easy. Furthermore, there are four Tiers that have various papers under them.
For Tier 1 the pattern is below:
The total time allotted for the exam is 60 mins. However, for Virtually Handicapped candidates it is 80 mins. The total marks for Tier 1 are 200.
A well and detail performed research will enable you to understand the time you need to study for each subject. Furthermore, you will get a brief overview of the subjects you need to focus on the most.
The main part of your above research should be the syllabus. Get your hands on the correct syllabus from an authentic website ( for instance the official website of SSC). Revisions are made every year and you must make sure that you have the latest version of it.
The syllabus gives you elaborate information on the different subjects you have to focus on. Each Tier has additional subjects for various posts. Tier 2 syllabus is as follows:
|Subjects Optional ( Based on Posts)||Marks||Questions|
|Commerce, Finance and Economics||200||100|
Therefore, the syllabus is important so that you can strategically plan your study routine. identification of your weak as well as your strong subjects is vital. In addition to that, this will enable you to accordingly prepare your timetable and schedule.
Make a Schedule, Be Efficient and Disciplined – Mainly important to crack SSC CGL in the first attempt
To use time most productively, you should make a schedule. This is one of the main aspects important for cracking the SSC CGL Exam in the attempt. Furthermore, a schedule keeps you organized and helps you to distribute the study preparation for a long duration.
The preparation of a set timetable has many boons, which are as follows:
- A timetable will help you keep you on track
- It keeps you organized, therefore you will not keep any subject for the moment studying.
- A schedule will make you disciplined.
- Your productivity and efficiency will increase, you will realize you have the ability to be efficient if you are determined.
- The timetable will help you achieve your short term goals which you have set for yourself.
Mock Tests and Practice ( Previous Papers) – Vital for Cracking the SSC CGL exam
Practicing can be done through Mock Tests. Initially, you will score less on mock tests. But, don’t be discouraged. Take it as a challenge. Work on the aspects you are scoring low on, set goals to increase your marks just by a few numbers initially.
Mock tests help in giving an overview of how exams happen in reality. You will get to know the strategy of answering MCQ based questions. Furthermore, you will get an estimate of your speed. In addition to that, it will give an idea of the difficulty level of the questions and an idea if you can tackle them.
Secondly, another aspect that is included in the tips for success in the SSC CGL exam is the constant practice of previous papers. These will help you to understand the paper pattern. Many competitive exams including the SSC exams have a strategic pattern they follow. Therefore, to crack the exam in the first attempt you should use this as an advantage.
Giving frequent mock test has another advantage. Familiarity with the exam mode and pattern of questions. Secondly, you will be able to answers with increased accuracy gradually.
Strengthen your Basics & Prioritize the topics for papers
The foundation to even a tall building needs to strong for it to stand. The same applies to even study. working on your basics makes further difficult concepts easier. Cracking the SSC CGL exam in the first attempt is difficult but not impossible.
Moreover, you must focus on the basics as most of the concepts could be based on them. In addition to that, knowing the basics will make you confident and boost you. You will be tackle any question with your strong basics knowledge.
Secondly, you must inculcate and focus on the topics which you feel, are your strong subjects. Each student works in a different manner. Some work on their weaker subjects while others work on their stronger ones. Those who work on their strong subjects prioritize it to take advantage of them being excellent at it. There is a high possibility that you might lose marks in your weak subjects, therefore perfecting your strong subjects is preferred.
Here is a Complete Guide for the complete SSC Combined Graduate Level exam. Moreover, it has various aspects including eligibility, the process of selection & detailed syllabus for the exam.
Tips & Tricks to Crack SSC CGL Exam
Candidates who have attempted the exam and cracked the SSC CGL exam in the first attempt have certain tricks and things which they follow. Here are some tips for success in the SSC CGL exam.
Create a Strategy for yourself
The strategy includes various aspects namely:
- Firstly, the books you need to select to study from – the latest and most updated revised books must be chosen. Select your books for preparation wisely, as they will be vital and they are going to guide you in your journey to cracking the SSC CGL exam in the first attempt.
- Secondly, the online resources available – take every opportunity of using online resources completely. Various website online provides step by step procedure to shortcuts and tricks. Moreover, access to YouTube videos is completely free and research on the various channels which are useful to you. There are online coaching classes too. These can help to waste less time commuting to classes.
- Thirdly, study according to syllabus strictly – this means you have to keep in mind Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 3 & Tier 4 ( if it applies for the post you apply to). Covering each point in the syllabus is vital. The syllabus is given on the Staff Selection Commission website ( Official Website ). Therefore, plan your timetable keeping the syllabus in front of you.
- Lastly, research on the cut – off marks applicable to you – this enables you to set a goal in your mind.
Prepare Notes while studying
When you prepare your own notes, you revise what you have read. Writing is an efficient method of learning information. Furthermore, writing will make the whole studying time a little less monotonous. This is one of the key aspects included in the tips & tricks to crack SSC CGL exam.
Secondly, preparing notes will help you when you are revising just a few days before your final exam. You know which subject you’ve written where. In addition to that, brushing up through your notes gives a sense of validity and relief that you know the concepts well. This is am an important aspect of the tips & tricks to crack the SSC CGL exam.
You must learn to manage your time well. Often many students study for the competitive exams while studying at University/ College. Juggling between both can seem difficult. Therefore, time management is vital.
Initially, this may seem impossible to do. But, gradually you will get the hang of it. Moreover, if you have even 20 minutes in your hand to study utilize it. For instance, in those 20 minutes, you can revise the quantitative syllabus formulas. If you are a student, whose majority time going in commuting ( for instance, an hour). You can always choose to listen to audios and watch videos on your way back. Therefore, you have used your time wisely. To sum up, time management is basically, making the most of the free time you have in your hand. In addition to that, organizing & using your time wisely.
Sometimes we get carried away in the Virtual World. Many of us lose track of time when we scroll through social media. The addictiveness to it is a great disadvantage. One must remove all kinds of distractions to crack the SSC CGL exam in the first attempt.
If you feel like you do not have self-control on your social media usage, set reminders. For instance, social media like Instagram and YouTube have the option of setting reminders of the time you have spent on it. Therefore, this will help you control your usage. Furthermore, if this doesn’t seem to work, it is preferable to uninstall application which isn’t needed.
Moreover, playing games online and watching series through Netflix subscriptions can also come under the category of distractions. Therefore, before you start preparing for your exam set a few minutes aside for games, otherwise, uninstall them gradually. This is one of the vital tips for success in the SSC CGL exam.
Inculcate Stress Busters on a Regular Basis
What are Stress Busters? They are basically something that will reduce your stress and help you relax. This is an important part of the day as you keep aside some time to do something you really love. One of the most important tips & tricks to crack the SSC CGL exam. This also helps your mind to focus on something else apart from the exam.
- Going for a walk – Getting some fresh air is always a good idea. It will help you get out of your house which, therefore, removing your monotonous schedule.
- Get artistic – if you are a creative person. Draw, paint, doodle, or anything you want to do will get your mind off the exam preparation for some time.
- Listen to Music – for many listening to music can be really refreshing and relaxing.
- Tap a nap – power naps in the day time are beneficial. They boost your productivity after the naps.
- Meditate – this will completely relax you. In addition to that, you will feel two times fresher after your 10-minute meditation routine.
- Make something delicious for yourself – cooking and making something you really love eating can take your mind off studying. Furthermore, you will enjoy making the food and thereafter eating it.
- Watch something that will lighten your mood – it can be your favorite romantic movie or a funny comic series. Stand-up comedy is another great idea of watching something humorous which doesn’t cover a long duration.
- Pamper yourself – you can pamper yourself from having a nice hot bath and massage to rewarding yourself with one hour of your favorite game. Moreover, this also includes something you’ve been craving for it since a long time. But, you have restrained from it. This is the right time and you should go fulfill your cravings because you deserve it.
FAQ | Cracking SSC CGL Exam in First Attempt – Complete Guide
Yes, it is definitely possible. All you got to do is make your mind up, be determined to crack it. Studying consistently, strategically, and with will power. Your belief in yourself will help you crack the exam in the first attempt.
Firstly, get to know the exam, its syllabus, eligibility criteria. Secondly, make a schedule and stick to it, solve mock tests, and keep revising. Lastly, be determined and trust yourself that you’re gonna use tips like this for success in SSC CGL & you’re not settling for anything less than that.
All competitive exams are difficult and lengthy, so Yes it is difficult. It is on the hard work, consistency, and determination of the student that shows the result. Anybody can crack the exam, you just have to focus and use strategies to achieve success in the SSC CGL exam.
Editor’s Note | Cracking SSC CGL Exam
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, all the SSC exams have been postponed. This lockdown period can be used wisely by students. In addition to that, students willing to crack SSC CGL exam in the first attempt can fully focus on the exam preparation. They are not distracted by the outside world. Moreover, the lockdown has made venturing outside the house limited. This is a great advantage for students. It enables them to study with full focus. Those appearing for the SSC CGL exam for the first time must keep visiting the Staff Selection Commission official website for revised dates of the exam.