Who doesn’t love their mobiles and laptops these days but have you experienced eye strain after hours of surfing on the internet. Well, don’t worry because we have curated a whole lot of tips and tricks for you to avoid eye strain. Moreover, these remedies will help you in the future for sure. From Eye strain headache, symptoms, remedies to how to relax your eyes we have covered everything. This is going to be a one-stop article for you.
What are the Eye Strain Symptoms?
To get started let’s look at what are the symptoms of it. So, Firstly your eyes tend to feel tired and irritated after focusing on a screen or computer for so long. Secondly, activities like driving or reading can also strain your eyes. It first starts with eye pain then you get Eye strain headache. Also, it is very common nowadays as everyone is on their phones at all times. Moreover, a little bit of eye strain can be treated with simple home remedies. However, constant pain in the eyes is definitely indicating something serious. Go to the doctor immediately. So, in order to avoid eye strain, the symptoms must be clear to you. Scrolling the phone at night will give you headaches and eye strain. It first starts mildly then it becomes intense and can last all day.
Frequent headaches and pain in the eyes is the sign that you need a break.
Common Causes of Eye Strain
To avoid Eye strain let’s dive in deeply into the causes of Eyestrain. Firstly, it happens because of overdoing and focusing on one activity. For example: You are sitting in front of your computer for 8 hours and not taking a break, that’s where things go wrong. Also, you may experience headaches, blurry vision, dry and irritated eye. Surprisingly, pain in the neck or back is also its symptoms. Secondly, screens are the ones to blame for as using it for hours and hours is going to irritate the eye. Moreover, the vision council says that 90% of people use their phones for more than 2 hours per day. They also claim that 85% of children watch screens for more than two hours a day. And that is going to take a toll on their eye health.
- Focusing on single activity for the long amount of time like doing work on computer or reading.
- Lighting affects your eyes too so being in a room with dim or bright light can cause eye strain.
- Stress can also trigger it and dry eyes causes redness.
- Blinking and posture failure can alter eye health
- Watching screen for the long amount of time causes strain too.
Some Eye Strain Remedies
You can use eye drops, cold water, cold slice of potato or cucumber to feel relaxed and refresh. We will also recommend you to pick glasses online that will protect your eyes from the blue light of laptops and phones. Moreover, taking a break is always a good idea so go ahead and spend some time with your family away from the phones. Try to do yoga to relax the body and mind.
Here are some tips and remedies on how to relax your eyes. Now, to avoid eye strain follow these consistently.
- Lighting Adjustment – This is an important step in order to relax your eyes. When working on a computer or watching television don’t black out the room. Instead, keep some lights on while doing these activities. Also, never position the light directly into the eyes because that will damage your eye.
- Break Time – Don’t forget to take a break in between the activity. Close your eyes for some time that will hydrate them. Moreover, a break can refresh you instantly and you will be good to go.
- Screen Time – It is a very important step as limited screen time can definitely make a major difference. However, this step should be a must for children as their eyes are delicate and limited screen can make a major difference.
- Appropriate Eyewear – Firstly, if you wear specs or lens don’t forget to wear them while doing work as it will cause eye strain headache. Secondly, if you have a work that involves looking at a computer for 8 hours then invest in eyewear that will protect the eyes from the blue light of the screen. Buy them on Amazon.
Tips for when you are working
Work stations are incomplete without computers. Therefore, people have to be on their screen for long hours. Do follow these steps in order to avoid eye strain at work.
Follow the 20-20-20 Rule – Well being on the computer for a long time is definitely going to give you eye strain. But you can avoid it by following the 20-20-20 rule. So how does it work? the rule says that take a break every 20 minutes no matter what, then the screen should be at least 20 feet away from you and at last 20 seconds should be the time to look at it instead of being on the screen continuously. This how you can relax your eyes while being at work.
BLINK BLINK BLINK – Yes you heard it right blinking is very important. But you must be wondering why we have included a natural activity? well to be precise people blink less when they are focusing on something else which results in dry irritated eyes. So, do blink more often while working to maintain hydration.
Monitor Adjustment – Always keep your monitor at one arm distance and at your eye level. This reduces the eye as well as back strain. And the light of the screen will not be so close to your face.
Setting of Screen – Adjust the size of the alphabets according to your desire. Make it large to reduce eye strain. Also, adjust the brightness of the screen to further help you.
Multitasking – Generally everyone uses printers or documents while working. But that involves bending so in order to avoid that always keep them at a level where you don’t have to put strain yourself. Keep them at a place where you can have easy access.
Eye Drops – Eye drops can help to reduce eye strain headache as it calms the irritated eye instantly. Moreover, being focused reduces times of blinking which results in dry eye. However, eye drops are your way to go they soothe the eyes and will reduce dryness. You can buy them on Amazon.
Complications of Eye Strain
Avoiding eye strain is very important in order to maintain the eye’s health. Eyes are the foremost important organ of our body. So, you wish to find out a way to relax your eyes. However, the general public feels relaxed after following the above tips. But if you continue to struggle with it do like better to visit the doctor. Sometimes people need lenses to unravel the matter because it will be a significant problem. There are such a lot of complications of eye strain so don’t put yourself at an area where there’s no going back. Also, it is unavoidable if you have a job which involves sitting on a computer for hours. Moreover, kids who spend most of their time on the phones are at high risk. So, it can cause permanent damage to their delicate eyes.
- Blue lights of electronic devices do harm the eyes as they are extremely strong. They can also cause long term damage.
- Your retina can get damaged by exposing yourself to these lights for long hours.
- Cataract is also a problem so do remember that taking a break from work is very important.
- Eye strain and its headache will affect your sleep too. the pain is so intense that you will be unable to relax.
TIP: Specially designed eyewear like lenses and specs can protect your eyes from the harmful blue light and it will cool down your eyes.
FAQ Regarding How to Avoid Eye Strain
The simple remedy is just to do nothing and look away from your screen every few minutes. Close your eyes or have a 5 minutes nap. It will definitely help you. Also, splash some water in the eyes to instantly hydrate the eyes.
Yes absolutely, blinking is your best friend for sure. It is a natural process however, people tend to forget by being focused on something else. Blinking prevents dry eye and that keep irritation at bay.
There is not an actual report stating that eye strain can be permanent but it is definitely very uncomfortable and can give you red-eye easily. Looking at a screen for hours and hours is not a good thing for you.
A warm environment is your best friend if you want to relax the muscle of the eyes. You can always do it yourself if you work in a cold environment. So, to begin with, take cotton or any soft cloth and dip it into warm water now strain it and keep it on the eyes for a few minutes.
Editor’s Note | Avoid Eye Strain
COVID-19 has taken a toll on everyone’s health. While we were stuck at home for months, work from home became immensely popular. Sitting idol at home involves binging at your favorite shows for hours and doing nothing. But while scrolling on the phone have you thought that doing work from home or binging on the show is affecting your health too. Yes, the pain in your eyes after finishing the last episode of friends is caused by eye strain. However, eye strain headache is the symptom that you are putting too much pressure on your eyes. Some eye strain remedies will help you out. To avoid eye strain do try these tips. Don’t forget to take a break from the screen while doing the work, follow the 20-20-20 rule, adjust the lighting of your room and voila you are good to go.