Looking for the Best Indian sweets this festive season? We have you covered for it. The popular sweets in India include a wide variety of north, east and south sweets. Moreover, these mouth-watering sweets are blissful and yet traditional. The Best Indian desserts have Moong dal halwa, Gulab jamun and what not. Different types of Indian sweets are served cold or hot according to the weather. However, the names of Indian sweets are quite unique and goes with their ingredients. You can see sweets at weddings, on Diwali and every other auspicious occasion. Every Indian activity is incomplete without sweets. We have included everything from calorie count to easy recipes. Nothing is better than a homemade sweet with pure love. No Indian meal is complete without sweets.
Why Sweets are so Popular in India?
Indians are known to have a sweet tooth. They are the most important part of every occasion. Also, markets are full of several delicacies on the festive season. Whether it be Diwali or Durga Pooja the sweets never fail to amaze us. The name of Indian Sweets is on every list regardless of the occasion or parties. But how does one choose the best Indian desserts when you have such a wide variety. Well, we have narrowed our list for you to give the best showstopper of every occasion. These different types of Indian sweets will make your day for sure. Moreover, every state has its own specialty. Believe it or not but there are over 400 varieties of sweets all over the world. However, it takes hours to make these delicacies and with pure ingredients.
The rich ingredients include Kesar, Ghee, cardamon, etc. Also, every region has its own recipe and ways to make it unique. In short, You can find many things like chocolate barfi, Paan modak and much more.
List of Best Indian Sweets
Jalebi has to be one of the Best Indian sweets. All-purpose flour, food color, sugar syrup and Kesar are important ingredients of Jalebi. However, serve it hot or cold this will make your day. The batter is of maida and baking soda. After that deep fry it in ghee and dip it in sugar syrup. The glossy texture is because of sugar syrup. This sweet is very crunchy yet comforting without a doubt. Jalebi was first discovered in the 16th century by an Arab. The bright orange color just makes you want to eat it. Moreover, eat it with milk or rabri it will not let you down. Many people eat jalebi in breakfast too. The cold season is just incomplete without a hot piping jalebi. It is one of the most popular delicacies in India and is easily available everywhere. There are 150 calories in Jalebi.
- Mix some maida and Kesar until smooth consistency.
- Add the batter in a muslin cloth or a bottle with a nozzle.
- Start making round shapes and fry it in ghee until crispy.
- Immediately add them into the sugar syrup and let it rest for 5-7 minutes.
- Your jalebi is ready to serve it hot or cold.
2. Gulab Jamun One of the Best Indian Sweets
The Best Indian sweets are incomplete without Gulab Jamun. This sweet dish is like a cozy blanket on cold days. These small fried rounds in warm sugar syrup can make anyone’s day. Moreover, the best Indian desserts have to include Gulab Jamun. They are available anywhere and everywhere. You can eat it warm or cold as per your desire. No matter where you go you are always going to find these luscious balls. Honestly, they are pretty hard to resist and one of our guilty pleasures. The smell of cardamon is so amazing that it is popular worldwide. However, this amazing dish was accidentally invented by one of the royal chefs. Gulab jamun comes in a variety of shapes and colors. These brown balls are going to satisfy your taste buds. Every wedding, birthday party or festival is incomplete without piping hot Gulab Jamuns.
- Mix Maida, khoya, baking soda, milk and a little bit of lime juice to make the dough.
- Then let it rest for about 10 minutes meanwhile heat some ghee in a pan.
- Start making small balls of the dough and fry it in ghee until brown.
- Strain it well and put it in sugar syrup for 10 minutes. Voila, your Gulab jamuns are ready to serve.
Khoya and Kesar are its main ingredients but milk powder can be a substitute. However, there are 112 calories in Gulab jamun. Always remember that the sugar syrup must be in a 1:1 ratio. How many of you know that in the late 16th century it was a royal dish. King’s meal was incomplete without one of these. You can buy instant mix of Gulab jamun on Amazon.
Best Sweets in India has to include Kheer. This sweet delight is popular among every culture. Moreover, rice and milk are the main ingredients. When names of Indian sweets come up kheer comes instantly to the mind. This best Indian dessert has to be our favorite. Surprisingly, it was a cure for stomach aches. As it is simple and easy to digest this is popular from the 15th century. But Everyone has their own recipes and kheer is very popular in Persia. People add almonds, cashews, raisins and even rose water to accentuate the aroma. It has a rich texture that will feel like butter in your mouth. Eid, Janmashtami are occasions when kheer is served. Pair it with Aloo puri or just eat it alone. However, Different types of Indian sweets have different textures and flavors.
- Soak some rice for 20 minutes and heat milk in a pan. Add some ghee and cardamon into it.
- Then add your rice into it and keep stirring it to avoid sticking it to the pan.
- At last, add the condensed milk and nuts to the mixture and your kheer is ready. There are 240 calories in kheer which isn’t much.
- Kheer is definitely a refreshing dessert. The foremost important part is that kheer is vegan just swap the regular milk with oat milk. Serve it hot or cold.
The popular sweets in India have to include Gujiya. The different types and names of Indian sweets are incomplete without it. This sweet dish has a hard shell and juicy stuffing inside. When you take a bite of it, there is an explosion of flavors in your mouth. The stuffing is so juicy and yet not extremely sweet. It has the perfect balance of sweetness. Either sooji or maida is the ingredient of the shell and the shape is like a dumpling. However, the sugar-coated goodness will not fail to amaze you. The hype is real about this delicacy. Therefore, the list of Best Indian Desserts has to include guijiya. Surprisingly it has just 200 calories. So don’t forget to enjoy this sweet delicacy this festive season.
- Mix 2 cups of maida and half tsp of salt with lukewarm ghee in a bowl to make the outer shell. After that cover and leave it for 30 minutes.
- Saute some nuts and cardamom powder in a pan and add powder sugar at last. Mix it well and meanwhile make small balls of the dough.
- Now make a flat round and add the mixture to it. Give it your desired shape and brush some oil.
- Now bake it or fry it as per your desire. Most importantly, enjoy the sweet delicacy with your family.
5. Modak the Best Indian Dessert
Best Indian sweets have to include Modak. Also, It is a Maharashtrian delicacy and is Ganesha’s favorite. Mainly it is served to Lord Ganesha. However, many people distribute them as Prasad. Modak is also considered as god’s food. Moreover, Steam it or fry it it’s up to you. Modak is also available worldwide. Above all, there are over 300 varieties of modak available in India. From Chocolate modak to Paan modak choose according to your taste buds. In short, Buy it or make it at home the sweet dumpling will water your mouth. Firstly, The names and different types of Indian sweets can be seen worldwide. Moreover, many countries serve it as an international delicacy. Secondly, there are 126 calories in modak. You can also Buy readymade Modak here.
- Heat some ghee in a pan and add shredded coconut and jaggery into it. Mix it until the mixture dry.
- Now to make dough heat some water in a pan and add 1tbsp of ghee and pinch of salt to it. Add maida to the water and mix it on a low flame until turns lumpy.
- Cool it down and knead it properly. Now make small balls and start filling it in with the mixture.
- Shape it like a dumpling and fry it. Your modaks are ready.
6. Best Sweets in India has to include ladoo
These sweet and delicate balls will melt in your mouth. However, there are many types of ladoo in the market like motichur, besan and many more. Also, These are made with hands and extra pressure may break it. Therefore, with little to no pressure is used to shape it. Firstly, It is a festive treat and will satisfy the ones will a sweet tooth. Also, one ladoo has 200 calories. Secondly, Sugar, gram flour and ghee are the main heroes of it. But ingredients differ according to the recipe. Did you know that in some Muslim communities it is recognized as Eid dessert. Also, 6500Kg ladoo was prepared for Ganesh Chaturthi.
- Put some ghee into a pan and add besan to it. Mix it well until turns brown.
- Then add sugar, cardamom powder and nuts.
- Now, cool down the mixture and start making balls.
- Your Ladoo is ready to serve.
Barfi is a popular delicacy available all over India. Moreover, it got the name from the Persian word “barf” which means snow. Barfi has a nutty flavor that is not overpowering. Cashews and pistachio are the main heroes. However, there are over 100 varieties of barfi. Firstly, The name of Indian sweets is very unique. Secondly, Different types of Indian sweets have a name according to the shape or flavor. The popular sweets of India have to include Barfi due to its popularity. On the other hand, there are 174 calories in Barfi but it differs accordingly.
- Crumble some khoya and mix it in the pan for 3 minutes. Add sugar and mix it on a low flame for 2 minutes.
- When the mixture leaves the sides of the pan then add your nuts. Cook it for another minute and take it off the flame.
- Now spread it thickly on a butter paper and wait for the mixture to cool down. Now start making the squares and serve it.
- You can store it up to 5 days in an airtight jar. Also, you can switch the ingredients with whatever you like.
FAQ Regarding Best Indian Sweets
Indians love sweets and it is considered good luck if you start anything with sweets. You can gift it as well. In conclusion, No ceremony is complete without sweets.
You can make as many sweets as you like at home. As long as it has proper ingredients and measurements. Moreover, don’t forget to follow the recipes.
Rasmalai, Kheer, Gulab Jamun, moong dal halwa are some of the best Indian desserts that are loved worldwide.
Unfortunately, they are not. Every sweet is deep-fried and high in calories. However, you can make a healthy version of them at home.
Kheer, ladoo and Gulab jamun are the easiest. As they take less to prepare and are very easy to make. However, you can make them more healthy by swapping the products with organic ones.
Editor’s Note | Best Indian Sweets
COVID 19 has taken a toll on everybody. However, as we know India is the country of festivals and sweets are mandatory. But safety is important too so what should you do? look for the places that are properly sanitized. Also, the staff should be covered properly. This will ensure the safety of the customers. On the other hand, Choose the stores wisely as the quality of sweets is equally important. Moreover, a sanitized kitchen will provide you the best quality. Different types of Indian sweets are available all over India. But the business went down in the lockdown period which got everyone worried. In conclusion, Try to make your sweets at home as it will be healthy and safe.