The Civil Services Examination (CSE) is an All India Entrance exam conducted by the Union Public Service Commission. UPSC is the central agency that conducts exams to recruit IAS/IPS/IFS and other officers to the All India Services and Group A and B Central Services. You can check about the UPSC CSE notification and updates. You can also download the IAS notification pdf from the official website of UPSC. Aspirants can also check out the syllabus, eligibility criteria, question papers, sources, etc. online for free.
Important Functions Of UPSC
The roles and responsibilities of UPSC has been mentioned in Article 320 of the constitution. Let us further know about them-
- UPSC is India’s central recruiting agency for various services under the Central and State government. Further, it does direct recruitment through three stages of the exam – the Prelims. Mains and the Personality Test. UPSC displays the selection procedure and a brief on selection in three stages of the exam.
- It is one of the constitutional bodies which is also responsible for releasing UPSC updates related to the UPSC exam, important dates, etc.
- Apart from UPSC updates and notification pdfs, UPSC also appoints officers on promotion, absorption, deputation, etc.
- UPSC also releases data on the minimum cut-off marks for different categories, the medium of language, gender, etc.
- UPSC further releases an annual report for the President to scrutinize and the public for transparency. This report consists of marks obtained by candidates in different subjects, which language scored the maximum and minimum, and a lot of other data useful for aspiring candidates.
UPSC Calendar 2020 – UPSC Notification
The Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) annually releases a calendar at the official site The UPSC Calendar includes information about notification dates, exam dates, last date for receipt of the application form, duration of the exam, and other new updates that may be released in due course of time. UPSC candidates should keep on checking the website for any notifications released by UPSC. Students should also download the UPSC calendar or may take a print out as a reference copy. Doing so will always keep you on track and you will never miss on any UPSC-CSE notification. So, you must read the UPSC updates with focus and attention.
You can check and download the annual calendar for every year at the official site of UPSC.
UPSC CSE Notification 2020
The UPSC releases notification for the IAS Exam (CSE) every year inviting candidates to apply for the same. In 2020, UPSC released the Civil Services Examination (CSE) notification on February 12, 2020. Aspirants can also access the UPSC notification 2020 on the official website of UPSC. The purpose of the notification pdf by UPSC is of immense help to the candidates. There is no other source of information for the students to rely upon. Also, there are so many websites that release news about the UPSC updates. Do not go for it until the UPSC officially declares it. The notification plays a significant role in the competitive examinations. It displays all the relevant details. In 2020, the UPSC CSE notification declared that there were 769 vacancies overall.
IAS Notification 2020
The UPSC notification provides all the details about all the Civil Services exam. Below is a list of all the details that UPSC sends out a notification about. Candidates should keep an eye on these details as they prepare to sit for the exam –
The UPSC Notification shares information on the following:
- UPSC exam dates
- IAS/IPS/IFS vacancies
- UPSC -IAS exam centres
- Exam fees
- Procedure to apply online for IAS exam
- Eligibility for civil services exam such as educational background, nationality, age limit, number of attempts, etc.
- Latest UPSC Syllabus
- UPSC Exam Plan
- All the available UPSC posts
UPSC Notification pdf details
Candidates who register after the release of the notification on the official site of UPSC receive a registration id. After successful completion and submission of the form, candidates are issued admit cards about 3 weeks before the exam.
Soon, UPSC releases a UPSC notification pdf about the admits card. Further, UPSC students have to download the admit cards from the official website itself. This is the only way to get the admit card as there is no no postal delivery of the same.
Civil Services Exam dates – UPSC Notification
The IAS notification 2020 also provided information about the IAS exam dates. Some of the details about the same are as follow:
- The UPSC online application process for the prelims exam started on 12th February 2020, and the last date for the same was 3rd March 2020.
- The IAS Prelims exam which was supposed to take place on 31st May 2020, is to take place on 4th October 2020.
- The UPSC results generally gets released in the middle of July. But in 2020, the results will be postponed because of obvious reasons – the exam is taking place late.
- Further, the UPSC mains exam is scheduled to start on 8th January 2021. the exam will take place for a span of 5 days.
- Moving on, the UPSC Personality Test will be held in 2021.
You can also read about the role and importance of UPSC.
UPSC Civil Services Posts
UPSC conducts exams to recruit officers for the following jobs. These can be found in the UPSC notification pdf as well –
- IAS – Indian Administrative Service
- IFS – Indian Foreign Service
- IPS – Indian Police Service
- IRS – Indian Revenue Service, etc.
There are more than 20 services under UPSC and you can go through any updates regarding them in the IAS notification that is released every year.
UPSC Vacancies : 2019 vs 2020
Every year, the UPSC releases notification to provide data on the number of vacancies available for the total number of posts for that year only. In 2019, 896 vacancies were filled through the UPSC Civil Services Exam 2019 (39 were reserved for candidates with benchmark disabilities).
In 2020, 796 vacancies is to be filled through the UPSC Civil Services Exam 2010. The number has reduced by 100 vacancies which is a huge number. Out of these, 24 are reserved for candidates with benchmark disabilities). Aspirants can also check the UPSC Notification of 2019, 2018, 2017 and 2016 in case they want to compare.
Civil Service Exam Centres
The UPSC notification also provides information on the venue or centres of exam for both the Prelims and the Mains exams. Candidates should apply in the first days of the release of the form to get the centre of their choice because UPSC allots centres on a “first come first” basis.
For more information on UPSC exam centres, visit the official site of UPSC.
UPSC Eligibility Criteria
You must make sure that you fulfill the eligibility criteria to be able to sit for the UPSC exam. So, read about the criteria that UPSC releases and go through the rules listed in the Gazette. To give you an idea about the eligibility, we have divided the IAS eligibility criteria into the following:
- Age Limit
- Minimum Educational Qualification
- Number of Attempts
Read about these to know further what exactly you need to fulfill to become an IAS officer. Candidates must check the eligibility conditions in the UPSC notification pdf for the year of the exam.
IAS Exam Fees
The IAS notification also provides details about the exam fees which has to be paid at the time of registration.
- The application fee for the UPSC Prelims exam is Rs.100/-
- The application fee for the UPSC Mains exam is Rs.200/-
- But, female/SC-ST/Disabled candidates do not have to pay the fees.
- Both cash and online payments are available. Candidates should make sure that they pay the exam fees before the last date to avoid cancellation of form.
- Candidates who clear the IAS prelims will have to apply for the Mains exam again. This is the general procedure. The UPSC notification releases information for the same after the results of the Prelims exam are out. So, keep checking the website for updated details.
Online application form – UPSC Notification
The UPSC notification provides for a step by step guide to apply for the Civil Services exam online. Read the notification properly before applying. Do not skip this step to avoid any confusion and mistakes. Furthermore, below is a five-step procedure to help simplify things for you:
- Go to the official UPSC application website (upsconline.nic.in)
- Click on the UPSC Civil Services Examination Link
- Click on the Part – I Registration link/button
- After you receive your registration no., go ahead and complete Part-II of the registration.
What you have to keep in Mind
- You must always read the instructions carefully before filling out the exam form. Sometimes, we miss out on the tiniest of details in a haste.
- The UPSC CSE prelims exam conducts exam to Indian Forest Service (IFoS) as well. So, make sure that you specify whether you want to apply for Civil Services or Forest Services or both.
- Make sure that you fill both the parts of the application filing process. Fill all the details and do not delay paying the exam fees till the last date. You do not want to mess things by keeping such important tasks for the last minute.
- Be careful while you fill the form because once you click on the submit button, you do not get to make any further changes. UPSC does not consider any changes in the form after it has been submitted.
Finally, read the UPSC Notification in detail before you fill the application form online as you do not want to take risks of making any mistake because every attempt counts and time counts. So, take out a peaceful time and fill the form without any stress. Also, read about tips to find the best coaching institute for IAS.
FAQs on UPSC Notifications
The UPSC released the notification for 2020 on 12th February. It means that the online application process begins on 12th Feb. The last date to apply was 3rd of March. Further, you can start your preparation for the next attempt at home.
As per UPSC Notification 2020, there are 796 vacancies that is to be filled through the Civil Services exam to be conducted on 4th October, 2020.
The UPSC exam application can be applied online only. Learn further about the online application and registration procedure by visiting the official website of UPSC.
COVID-19 Update | UPSC Notifications
The COVID pandemic has let to cancellation or postponement of many exams. The UPSC exam was supposed to be conducted on the 30th of May, 2020. But as conditions worsened, it got postponed to the 4th of October, 2020. This has led to many students turn to online platforms for studies and even proved to be fruitful to many who wished to prepare from home.