Confused about where and how of the best Law colleges in Mumbai? In this article, you will get details about the top 5 Law colleges in Mumbai. Besides, this list of best LLB colleges in Mumbai includes premier government Law colleges in Mumbai. Moreover, some private Law colleges in Mumbai also find a place on this list.
- Why to pursue Law from the best university?
- Minimum requirements for admission in Law
- Best Law Colleges in Mumbai
- 1. Government Law College
- 2. Kirit P. Mehta School of Law (KSOL), NMIMS
- 3. University Of Mumbai Law Academy (UNLS)
- 4. Maharashtra National Law college(MNLU)
- 5. Kishinchand Chellaram Law College (KCLC)
- FAQ regarding the Top Law colleges in Mumbai
- Editor’s Note | Best Law colleges in Mumbai
Why to pursue Law from the best university?
To begin with, a just society is a thriving one for all classes of people. And, the just society prevails with aid of good lawyers. Moreover, at the core of Law as a profession is to serve the client. And, this clientele is vast. It ranges from local people to top corporates. You get an opportunity to bring law at the service to those people who are not aware of their rights. Thus, this profession is mentally fulfilling. Besides, India is now a signatory to several international treaties. Moreover, several MNCs are working across national borders. Thus, there is wide scope for you to dive in. Not only the field is broadening but also deepening as laws within India itself are integrating several new facets.
Hence, together with your determination to be a successful lawyer and the guidance of the best professors, you are bound to make a mark. This is only possible when you join the best Law colleges in Mumbai. You get one of the best government law colleges in Mumbai. And, in this list of top Law colleges of Mumbai, several private Law colleges in Mumbai also take the place. You can find all the necessary details about these best LLB colleges in Mumbai in this article.
Variety of courses available in these Top LLB colleges in Mumbai
The best part about studying at the best LLB colleges in Mumbai is that you get to study specialization in a variety of fields. While they offer these at the UG level, there are PG courses, diploma, and certificate courses as well.
- Firstly, at the top Law Colleges In Mumbai, the basic courses you get at the UG level are LLB and LLB (Hons.). They both are 3 years courses. Next, there special 5 years integrated courses like BBA/BA/B.Com/B.S.L./B.Sc- LLB course.
- Secondly, if you are hoping to go for specialization then PG is a must for you. Hence, you get LLM courses too at these best Law colleges in Mumbai.
- Thirdly, if you are looking for a shorter duration course then you can opt for a diploma course. At these top Law colleges in Mumbai, you have plenty of options. Such as Diploma in Criminal Law, Business Law, Corporate Law and Management, Cyber Law, etc.
- Fourthly, if you are looking for in-depth knowledge in your specialization, then there are certificate courses. Thus, at these best LLB colleges, you get to upgrade your career in little time via these courses. Such as certificate courses in Cyber Law, Corporate Law, Anti-Human trafficking Law, Insurance Law, etc.
Specialization available at the BestLaw colleges
Now that you have read about basic courses, let’s dive into the types of specialization. You can avail yourself of all of these at the best LLB colleges in Mumbai.
- Firstly, there is an area of Civil Laws. So here you get to learn about violations of rights, breach of contracts between parties, property and family rights, etc.
- Secondly, there is a field of Criminal law. It includes criminal offenses. Hence, here you research the case to its depth. So you deal with witnesses, police, and evidence.
- Thirdly, there is Insurance Law. Hence, you learn about different types of taxes. Moreover, it requires you to analyze different policies on income tax, property tax, etc.
- Fourthly, you get to specialize in IPR law. As an IPR lawyer, you guide your clientele in securing their intellectual property. Such as artistic, creative works, brand names, etc.
- Besides, there is Corporate Law. To begin with, you mainly study regulations and policies regarding businesses. Thus, you aid these enterprises and firms with their legal responsibilities, duties, and immunities, etc.
- Lastly, there is a new field of Environmental law that has recently taken over. So here you focus on the law that concerns the environmental aspects. It includes dealing with Environmental Impact Assessment, etc. UGC
Minimum requirements for admission in Law
Firstly, for the UG level, you need to clear HSC from a recognized board. It can be from any stream. However, some of the top Law colleges in Mumbai do have minimum percentage criteria. Next, you need to clear the national entrance Law exam. Such as Common Law Aptitude Test (CLAT). Then, there are also state and institute level exams. Such as MH-CET, NMIMS-LAT, LSAT, etc. You get admission based on your merit score in these exams.
Secondly, for PG level, you need to be a Law graduate. Besides, you have to get a valid entrance test score.
Besides, for Diploma or certificate courses, you only need to be 10+2 qualified. However, some of these top LLB colleges have their criteria.
Best Law Colleges in Mumbai
1. Government Law College
In the list of top Law colleges in Mumbai is the Government Law College (GLC). This is one of the best government Law colleges in Mumbai that was set up in 1855. Hence, it is the oldest Law College in Asia. Moreover, many famous personalities have started their career at this college. Such as Ms. Pratibha Devisingh Patil, Mr. Lal Krishna Advani, etc. Besides, many judges of the high court and Supreme Court form the alma matter of this government law college in Mumbai.
About the course
It offers 7 courses across the Law stream. The most popular is its UG diploma course. It is a full-time regular 3-year program. And, another is the 5-year integrated law degree program. Both the programs are as per the rules decreed by the University of Mumbai and the Bar Council of India (BCI). Moreover, for the 3 year Law program you need to be a graduate. On completion of 6 semesters, you get an LLB degree. And, if you do not want to be an advocate then you can quit the program after 4 semesters. Then, you are awarded LLB (General) degree. You can still pursue your Law study. Next, you can opt for an integrated LLB program. It is a 5-year course. The first 2 years are a Pre-Law course where you study any subject of your choice from the social science stream. So once you complete these 3 years, you are given a Bachelor of Legal Science(B.L.S.). After the 5 years course, you receive an LLB degree. Besides, they also offer two UG diploma courses of 6 months each.
The best part about this college is its co-curricular activities. It includes active committees, cultural programs, magazines, societies, etc.
You can apply by filling the Centralized Admission Process (CAP)-application form online. You should also read the CET Information Brochure carefully before applying.
Your admission is merit-based in the entry-level exam, MHCET Law.
Address: Government Law College, ‘A’ Road, Churchgate, Mumbai- 400 020
2. Kirit P. Mehta School of Law (KSOL), NMIMS
Next on the list of the best Law colleges in Mumbai is the Kirit P. Mehta School of Law (SOL). It is one of the best private Law colleges in Mumbai. Besides, it is the Law college of Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies (NMIMS). Thus, its Law college was set up in 2013. It was established as per the rules enacted by Bar Council of India (BCI).
So, what makes KSOL as one of the best private law colleges in Mumbai? Indeed, it is the best faculty together with state-of-art infrastructure. Such as libraries, Wi-Fi, LCD, and other ICT tools, etc. Besides, you get two different courses in LLB. Firstly, there is B.A. LLB (Hons.) So, here you get to pursue Humanities in the first two years among legal studies. Secondly, they offer BBA, LLB(Hons). It provides you with the opportunity to study Management with Law. Besides, they both are 5-year regular course. Moreover, internship and moot court help you get real-time challenges. Besides, you get engages in several case studies and debates.
For both the courses, you need to have completed your 12th standard. Moreover, you should have at least 50 percent marks.
Next, your admission is based on your rank in the entry-level exam. Including NMIMS-LAT, CLAT / LSAT-India.
Address: 9th Floor, B-Wing, Mithibai College Building, V. L, Vaikunthlal Mehta Rd, Vile Parle West, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400056.
3. University Of Mumbai Law Academy (UNLS)
Next in the line of the top Law colleges in Mumbai is UNLS. It is one of the oldest government Law colleges in Mumbai. To begin with, it was set up in 20155 as a part of the University of Mumbai. Besides, the University of Mumbai is one of the oldest and premier Universities in India. It was established in 1857 and is graded ‘A’ by NAAC.
About the course
You are offered BBA-LLB(Hons.) course at one of these top Law colleges in Mumbai. It is a year’s integrated course. Hence, you pursue Management studies for the first 2 years along with legal aspects.
They have a dress code for students. Moreover, you need at least 75% to sit for your semester exams. Besides, you attend seminars and conferences on current issues. And, they organize more than 30 events. Including cultural and academic.
You are admitted to UNLS based on your rank in MHCET-Law. And if you are from Mumbai, you can avail of an 85% domicile reservation. However, you will need to provide your domicile certificate at the time of admission.
You need at least 45 % in your HSC exams in addition to your merit in MHCET. There is a 3% relaxation for quota reservations.
Address: Shankarravo Chavan Centre, Vidyanagari Kalina Campus, Santacruz, East Mumbai 400098.
Web Url: unls.edu.in
Email: [email protected]
4. Maharashtra National Law college(MNLU)
Another on the list of best Law colleges in Mumbai is MNLU. It was set to function in 2014 as per the Maharashtra National Law University Act 2014. To begin with, it is one of the best state government Law colleges in Mumbai. This is well evident by its efforts in areas of research. It has set up many research centres. Together with Law studies at the UG level, it also offers PG and PhD in Law. It is planning to add more specializations from the new academic year. All of these courses are under the guidance of expert academicians. Besides, the state of art infrastructure and thriving ambience is an added benefit. You get the best facilities in terms of libraries, a moot court hall, hostel facilities, etc.
About the course
At the UG level, at this one of the best government Law colleges in Mumbai you get a BA., LL.B.(Hons.). It is a five years integrated program. Their course content is in line with the BCI and UGC norms.
Such as the Center for Clinical Legal Education, Center for Maritime Law & Research, Center for GST and Training, etc.
Apart from the regular classes, the organisation also conducts moot court competitions, debating & elocution competitions, quiz competitions, and sports activities to enhance student’s skills. The University runs a Student Mentorship Programme, for candidates to seek guidance from their mentors.
They don’t have any upper age limit for their UG course. Besides, you need to have at least 45 % in your HSC. There is a 5% relaxation for SC/ST categories.
There will be no upper age limit for their UG Programme. Next, you need a good score in your CLAT exam. The University offers admission to undergraduate program – 5 years integrated B.A., LL.B. (Hons.) through the Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) on a merit basis.
Address: MAHARASHTRA NATIONAL LAW UNIVERSITY MUMBAI, Post Box No: 8401, Powai, Mumbai – 400 076
Email: [email protected]
5. Kishinchand Chellaram Law College (KCLC)
Amongst the top LLB colleges in Mumbai, there is KCLC. This is one of the Private Law colleges in Mumbai. It was set up in 1955 and is affiliated with Mumbai University. Besides, its LLB course is as per BCI guidelines.
About the course
What makes it one of the best private Law colleges in Mumbai? It is their 3-year regular course in Law. Together with the best academician at their behest, you learn from the best. Moreover, it is the choice of best. So, you get the best thriving completion in one of the top private Law colleges in Mumbai. Besides, it is a semester-based program. You are accorded an LLB degree from the University of Mumbai at the end of 3 years. However, you can end the course by the 2nd year as well. In that case, you get the LLB(General) degree. Here, you are not eligible to practice as an advocate.
Moreover, they also offer scholarships to their students. These mainly for students who need financial aid. Hence, it is open to backward class categories and minority groups too.
You need to complete your graduation in any discipline with 45%. There is relaxation for reserved categories though. Next, you need a good score on the MH-CET Law exam.
Address: 123, Dinshaw Wachha Road, Vidyasagar Prin. K. M. Kundnani Chowk, Churchgate, Mumbai-400020. India.
Email: [email protected]
FAQ regarding the Top Law colleges in Mumbai
NLU is a short form for National Law University. These are 23 in number. They are located across India. Besides, these are amongst the top Law colleges in India.
1. National Law School of India University, Bangalore.
2. National Law University, Delhi.
3. NALSAR, Hyderabad.
4. The West Bengal National University of Juridical Sciences, Kolkata.
5. NLU, Jodhpur.
6. NLU, Gandhinagar.
7. NLU, Raipur.
8. Dr. Ram Manohar Lohia NLU, Lucknow.
9. Rajiv Gandhi NLU, Patiala.
10. NLU, Assam.
11. NLU, Odisha.
12. National University of Advanced Legal studies, Kochi.
13. Chanakya NLU, Patna.
14. NLU, Delhi.
15. Damodaram Sanjivayya NLU, Visakhapatnam.
16. NLU, Ranchi.
17. TN NLU, Trichy.
18. Maharashtra NLU, Mumbai.
19. Maharashtra NLU, Nagpur.
20. Maharashtra NLU, Aurangabad.
21. Himachal NLU,Shimla.
22. Dharamshashtra NLU, Jabalpur.
23. Dr. B.R. Ambedhkar NLU, Sonipat.
It is a 2-hour computer-based exam. It tests your knowledge in legal aptitude in addition to general knowledge, basic maths, English.
Editor’s Note | Best Law colleges in Mumbai
You are often wondering about what to pursue after HSC. While there are traditional options like medical, engineering, etc, you can also opt for legal studies. It is a quite promising field. There are a variety of options you can avail yourself of once you get your Law degree. What can be better than getting your Law degree from the best Law colleges in Mumbai? In this list of top Law colleges in Mumbai, there are several governments and private Law colleges. In this article, you read in detail about the course structure, campus facilities, faculty, etc. It will help you to decide which Best LLB colleges in Mumbai to opt for. If you found this article helpful, do comment with your suggestions, and queries. Besides, to read more such an articles, do follow mybestguide.com.